Lean on Me

It occurred in me in the bathroom. The porcelain repository of wisdom. Someone taught me to go potty. I repeated this mantra sitting on the edge of the tub until my tailbone went numb. My three year old daughter wiggled on the toilet. The two of us engaging in a battle of wills about her releasing numbers one and two.

I've taken for granted that I know how to walk and talk, button and zipper, put on socks and tie my shoes. I can feed myself, brush my teeth, and perform countless other duties that are basic and necessary to get through each day. These skills are immeasurable. Raising and forming little human beings into conscientious people is a monumental task that goes way beyond the art of grooming. 

Teaching virtues like generosity, patience, compassion, and charity to children requires superhuman powers. As most mothers do, I have a vested interest in my wee ones succeeding in life. No one is going to love them like I do. No one is going to care about them like I do. No one is as invested that they turn out to be decent citizens that contribute positively to their world. 

Sheryl Sandberg's best seller, Lean In, examines how important it is for women to realize their full potential and be leaders in the corporate world. Industry needs women's voices and input to lead to equality in treatment and pay.
Well, for now, I'm employed by my three young children and I'm leaning into my kids so they can lean on me. 

Thank you, Mom, for teaching me to walk so I can learn to fly. I love you. Happy Mother's Day.

Comments

Popular Posts