Do Something That Scares You

It taunted me. That blasted bumper sticker. "Do Something That Scares You Everyday". Everyday? Jumping out of a plane, holding snakes, and bungee jumping do not fit into my schedule. The "something" that terrifies me the most? Putting my trust in God. How scary to admit that. Out loud.

Little things detract from my trust. Owing money to the IRS. Car troubles. Rainy Monday mornings. Then the big thing happened. Our four year old son suffered his second febrile seizure. I can't shake the image of my little boy shaking uncontrollably, struggling to breathe, going limp, and driven away by ambulance. Febrile seizures are common we've been told. Approximately one in every 25 children has one. There is not anything normal about watching your son turn blue. Thankfully he bounced back but I didn't. Gratitude for my son's regained health dissipated into a fog of despair.

Is this what I want for my children? To live in fear? No way! Handing my children over to the Good Lord is costly. The price is losing control but the reward is gaining trust. The daily ritual of prayer can be a quickie way to rub ointment on a tormented heart. Especially the words of Matthew:

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives, and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asks for a fish? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him." Ch 7: 7-11.

Be Not Afraid.

Comments

Popular Posts